Mental Health Awareness Bulletin Board!

October is Mental Health Awareness Month! 

Mental health is an important part of overall health and well-being, especially for young people. Mental health conditions can affect anyone, but they are more common among adolescents and young adults.

I was recently asked by the counselor to come up with ideas for a mental health awareness bulletin board for my school. I was excited about the opportunity to use my creativity to raise awareness of such an important issue.

After reading about mental health and researching what captures teens' attention, I presented a few ideas to the school counselors. After they selected one they all agreed upon I was able to start this process.

First, I needed to find resources to bring the bulletin board to life. I love retail therapy so I have a good eye for supplies that are cute and budget-friendly. After sifting through a few pages on Michaels.com and Amazon.com, I found everything I needed to create the board. I also needed more hands to help, so after school one day, I asked my best friend to help me put the board together.

We had a lot of fun creating the bulletin board. We used informative posters, brightly colored stickers, and eye-catching graphics. We incorporated quotes and references to make the information more relevant to teens. We also included interactive elements, such as a QR code and a helpline number.

Finally, we posted information about mental health resources available to students, such as school counselors, therapists, and support groups. The envelope we used to place the cards in was not cooperating, so I had to come up with a solution and create compartments while adding some weight to hold the cards in place so they were easy to see and grab as needed.

I'm proud of the mental health awareness bulletin board that we created. I think it's a valuable resource for my fellow students, and I hope it helps to promote mental health awareness among teens.

Some of the articles that provided insights during my research are listed below for your reference and information. I put "**" next to the site I found most interesting and informative.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/analysis-theres-a-mental-health-crisis-among-teen-girls-here-are-some-ways-to-support-them

** https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/warning-signs-of-mental-illness#:~:text=Learn%20about%20the%20early%20warning,4%20begin%20by%20age%2024.

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2019/03/mental-health-adults

Here are some of the pictures courtesy of Mr. Kermit who caught the moment and us in action:

Bulletin Board:


Me:





My Best Friend and I (Don't mind my trendy black boot healing my broken foot):



Lastly, here is a Quote by Michelle Obama



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swim

Microplastics