Swim


 At my first swim meet after being out of commission, I was scared; the anxiety had been building up for a few days now. What if I didn’t do well, or what if I failed? All the questions were running through my mind. After breaking my foot for two months, I lost all progress I had made in swim. Two years of hard work went down the drain thanks to one injury. But I was determined not to let this stop me. I tried working out my upper body while taking advantage of my new free time by finishing 400 volunteer hours and getting a higher SAT score. After obtaining the clear to go back to practice in November, I tried to ease back into swimming slowly, but it was hard; I was still in pain and going to physical therapy. It also didn’t help that I had finals during that time.

As winter break approached, I started training more regularly despite the physical challenges I was facing. Even though I had trained for around a month, I still wasn’t confident in my skills. I knew I had to give it my all during this competition. On Saturday, fortunately, I had one event, 50 free, one of my favorites; as I got on the block ready to race, I zoned out and focused on the water, imagining how I wanted the outcome of this race to be. Hearing the horn, I instinctively jumped into the cold water and started moving my arms like a windmill and kicking like a madman. As I flipped, I could feel my body getting tired, but this was no time to give up. I started rotating my arms and moving my legs as fast as possible. There it was; I was approaching the wall. I took my final breath and pushed myself as much as possible at that moment, and that was it. The race was over; I looked at the giant lit-up board with my new personal best on it. I was ecstatic, and so were my parents and coach. Going in thinking I would do awful, I proved myself wrong and regained self-confidence. This sport has given me a lot of pain mentally and physically, but all the body aches and tiredness are worth it for races like these. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Bulletin Board!

Microplastics